top of page



By Lois B. Mays


April 6, 1917:

Two handsome buildings are going up in Folkston. Work has begun on William Mizell’s residence, and the brick is on the ground for the building L.E. Mallard is planning to erect on the lot between Mrs. J.C. Wright and the railroad tank. He will build a modern Ford agency there.

April 20, 1917:

The handsome home of William Mizell is showing up nicely. Dr. Williams is building a garage. L.E. Mallard is laying the foundation for the brick building on Main Street. W.B. Smith is having his house remodeled. Folkston sure is growing.

June 15, 1917:

The new buildings in Folkston are nearing completion. The Ford Garage being built by L.E. Mallard is having the cement floor laid and the adjoining room is having the finishing touches given. Mr. Mallard’s bungalow is progressing rapidly. The new home of William Mizell is having the interior decorations finished and work has been resumed on the canning factory.

August 10, 1917:

Mr. William Mizell and family are now residents of Folkston, having moved from their former home at Kings Ferry to their new dwelling just completed.

April 26, 1918:

The last few weeks there have been noticeable improvements made on the streets of Folkston. W.R. Wainwright has laid brick sidewalks in front of his two buildings, the one occupied by the Folkston Market and the Standard Garage. Mr. Altman also laid a brick walk in front of his store. T.L. Pickren has treated the Folkston Grocery Co. store to a new coat of paint. William Mizell has completed a large tank that supplies water to his residence.

May 2, 1924:

A wedding of unusual beauty was that of Miss Susie Mizell and Dr. Albert Fleming which was solemnized Wednesday at the home of the bride’s parents in Folkston.

January 8, 1932

Contractor Ed Shivar has been busy this week adding an ell on the home of William Mizell which is to be made into an extra room, thus making an already convenient home more so.

MRS. HELEN MIZELL SARBACHER told me this on April 18, 1993:

This is why there are palm trees in their yard:

Mrs. Mizell, Miss Helen’s mother, was visiting Clifford Mizell and his family in Miami and since Randall Gowen was selling and planting palm trees, Mr. Mizell decided to buy some and have Randall set them out. Mr. Mizell knew his wife loved this kind of tree.

He asked Miss Helen where they should be planted and she said “In a row in front of the house.” So that’s where Randall put them and that is why the street is named Palm Street.

Mrs. Mizell was very pleased with this when she returned from her trip.

[Note: The street was already known as Olliff Street for attorney and Herald owner, W.M. Olliff, one of the most outstanding leaders of Folkston in its infancy. His home was located somewhere close to where the Dr. Thompson home is now. The street was shown as Olliff Street in the census reports at the turn of the century. It would be nice is the city would re-name it in memory of him.]

from DeBrahm's Report
bottom of page